People Facing Addiction
All of us are People Facing Addiction. You care about preventing, treating, and recovering from addiction or you wouldn’t be here. We would like to hear your experience, and how it brought you to this platform of caring about addiction issues. We would like to hear from educators, law enforcement, business leaders, stay-at-home parents, people from faith communities, adult children of people with addiction, family members, best friends, and of course, from those of you in recovery from a substance use disorder.
Here are some prompts for you to think about when you put your experience into writing:
- How has your life been affected by addiction? How has it impacted your family?
- What positive life changes have you made because of addiction?
- What inspires you on tough days?
- How do you stay positive?
- What is one thing you have learned since you started your journey?
- Is there anyone else in your life you’d like to recognize for their journey?
- How do you help others now because of your experience?
- What is one thing you would like to share that would help others?
- What’s on your wish list? If you could enact change, at any level, what would they be?
Your experience has the power to touch tens of thousands with its message. There are so many people who want to know about the hope you’ve found, despite addiction. They need to know that there is hope for them too.
No one else has your experiences. We’ll help you craft your narrative—there’s an entire team standing by to focus on your experience and make sharing your experience the best reflection of you possible. Just start. Check out our short guidelines list and then and start writing. We’ll be waiting to share, because like you, we are People Facing Addiction.
- 1st person voice and personal experiences are preferred.
- 500-800 words.
- You must submit 2-3 photos you own the copyright for.
- No profanity.
- Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- You may paste into the text field and/or upload a Word document.
- 10MB limitation on all files.
- Submissions from entities promoting their addiction-related services will not be published.
- Submissions from authors, artists, and musicians about why they created a relevant piece of work will be considered on a case-by-case basis. In some instances the art may need to be reviewed to determine alignment with Facing Addiction non-profit mission.
Mediums where your story could be shared include, but are not limited to Facing Addiction’s email outbound communications, our social media platform, and any Facing Addiction websites to help build the Facing Addiction community. Please contact us immediately if your story has been shared on our platforms and you would like any changes to be made.By submitting your information to us, you agree that you will receive communications, including text messages if mobile number is provided, about Facing Addiction’s ongoing efforts. Facing Addiction does not charge recipients to receive text messages. However, messaging and data rates may apply. Check your wireless plan for details.
I grant Facing Addiction permission to use my story and/or its likeness and any photographs provided in any and all of its publications, including website entries, without payment or other consideration. You are solely responsible for your submission and any consequences of submitting it. Facing Addiction is not responsible or liable for any breach of these terms and conditions by you, claims by a third party that your submission violates the third party’s rights, or claims by you that a third party is misusing your submission. When writing about or photographing others you represent and warrant that you have all rights and permissions to share the information, images or any other materials you disclose to us for purposes of publishing your story on our Site and Social Media, and that your disclosures of the information, images or any other materials for this purpose does not violate the privacy, intellectual property or any other rights of third parties or violate any federal or state privacy laws or contractual confidentiality obligations. You also represent and warrant that you will not share identifiable information of any minor under the age of 18, and that you are over the age of 18 in participating. You are solely liable for the content.I understand and agree that I have submitted these materials to Facing Addiction voluntarily and they will become the property of Facing Addiction and will not be returned. I irrevocably authorize Facing Addiction its employees to edit, alter, copy, exhibit, publish, distribute or not use my story for purposes of publicizing the People Facing Addiction Program or for any other lawful purpose.
In addition, I waive the right to inspect or approve the finished product, including written or electronic copy, wherein my information appears. Additionally, I understand that I will not receive any royalties or other compensation arising from or related to the use of the information. I hold harmless Facing Addiction from any claims, demand, and causes of action which I, my heirs, representatives, executors, administrators, or any other persons acting on my behalf or on behalf of my estate have or may have by reason of this authorization or the use of my story, likeness, and photos. I certify by my signature that I am 18 year of age and am competent to contract in my own name.
By clicking submit, I acknowledge that I have read, fully understand, and agree to the contents, meaning, and impact of this release.