Pilot Community Project
In October 2016, Facing Addiction opened the application process for our Pilot Community Project. Four months and 54 applications later, interviews were conducted and in March of 2017 Facing Addiction announced the 15 communities selected to participate.
The project will work to reform the public response to the addiction crisis in these 15 communities via a grassroots-driven campaign strategy. Specifically, Facing Addiction will work with these communities to:
- Secure increases in localized funding to adequately address the crisis
- Train advocates on proper organizational and advocacy techniques to reform their community’s response
- Invest time and resources in communication opportunities with elected officials and other policy makers
- Provide media guidance to garner press coverage to further highlight the solutions to the problem
- Develop political strategies and aid community stakeholders in the development of an overarching “campaign strategy”
Addiction to alcohol and other drugs now impacts 1 in 3 households in America. We must urgently work to turn the tide on this health crisis. We received over 50 applications from communities across the country for this program, and we are excited about working to train, organize and mobilize citizens in these communities to ensure a shift toward a public, health-centered response to those impacted by addiction.
The following communities have been selected to participate in Facing Addiction’s Pilot Community Project:
- Annapolis, MD
- Baton Rouge, LA
- Billings, MT
- Boise, ID
- Chicago, IL
- Cumming, GA
- Fitchburg, MA
- Martinsburg & Berkeley Springs, WV
- New Canaan, CT
- Rochester, NY
- Safford, AZ
- San Diego, CA
- Springfield, MO
- West Bend, WI
- West Linn, OR
Read some of the press from local communities who have been selected for this project:
Stay tuned to this page for updates on the program, including events and news clips.
Questions on the project can go to Facing Addiction’s National Director of Outreach & Engagement, Michael King, who can be reached at [email protected].