Monthly Giving Details
ERASE THE SHAME. SAVE LIVES. END THE CRISIS.
Addiction to alcohol and other drugs is a health and human rights crisis, impacting 45 million households in America. Yet addiction is the only major health issue in the U.S. for which no well-funded, national organization exists to help those who are, were, or someday might be suffering.
Facing Addiction has brought together the leading experts and organizations in the field and created an overarching strategy that will finally turn the tide against the leading health issue of our time, which claims a life every four minutes and targets our youth.
Our work focuses on:
I. EDUCATING AMERICA ABOUT ADDICTION
- Addiction is a health problem–not a crime or moral failing
- Addiction impacts 1 in 3 households–and can happen to anyone
- Parents, families and schools can help prevent addiction with the right tools
- Treatment works, yet only 1 in 10 who are addicted get help today
- Recovery is a reality, as demonstrated by more than 23 million people
II. CREATING A SINGLE, TRUSTED PLACE TO TURN
- Bring together evidence-based solutions from leading experts in the field
- Work across prevention, treatment and recovery, research, and advocacy
- Provide this platform independently–not for any “special interests”
- One place to turn for help; one point of entry for philanthropy
III. SOLVING THE SYSTEMIC PROBLEMS IMPEDING PROGRESS
- Replace outdated, in-school prevention programs with ones that work
- Ensure that pediatricians are properly trained in early detection and referral
- Create a truly integrated, effective continuum of care for addiction
- Advocate for public health investments proportionate to the scale of the problem
- Continue to shift the response from criminal justice to health care
FACING ADDICTION ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Produced a history-making event on the National Mall on October 4, 2015–in front of tens of thousands of people and amidst hurricane threats–featuring appearances by Joe Walsh, Steven Tyler, Sheryl Crow, The Fray, Jason Isbell, Darryl Strawberry, the U.S. Surgeon General and several actors and elected politicians
- Assembled a highly engaged board of directors with deep connections to the addiction issue
- Organized over 400 citizen visits to Capitol Hill on October 5, 2015–an unprecedented advocacy day–to meet with their representatives to talk about the addiction crisis
- Helped to advance addiction and recovery legislation providing the grassroots push to secure passage of the breakthrough Comprehensive Addiction Recovery Act signed by President Obama in July of 2016
- Brought together over 750 organizations in the Facing Addiction Action Network, with a collective reach of 20+ million people, in support of Facing Addiction’s Action Agenda
- Made history by hosting the largest Caucus for Addiction Solutions every assembled at both major national political conventions, in addition to providing direct support by hosting Recovery Wellness Rooms
- Formed the Facing Addiction Youth Leadership Team in New York City as a template for other such groups
- Chosen as the partner to disseminate Facing Addiction in America: The Surgeon General’s Report on Alcohol, Drugs, and Health, released in November, 2016
Facing Addiction has made tremendous progress in its first 18 months. This is due to a highly engaged board of directors, comprising business and nonprofit leaders from all around the country, a driven and passionate leadership team, and a clear and innovative strategic plan to address the addiction crisis in our country. But we need your help – and support – to build upon this momentum in the years ahead.
YOUR TAX-DEDUCTIBLE, MONTHLY GIFT WILL SUPPORT THESE CRITICAL INITIATIVES TO FINALLY TURN THE TIDE AGAINST ADDICTION.